Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Fred Hates Everybody

I keep seeing headlines about "Cartoon Protesters" and I find myself picturing Garfield, Marmaduke, and Ziggy running around the Middle East with picket signs. (Update: I see Jon Stewart of the Daily Show had a similar idea when he showed the kid from the Family Circus cartoon.)

Anyway, I've been thinking about a different kind of protester this week...


Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist "Church," located in his home's basement in Topeka, Kansas, is the father of godhatesfags.com. His tiresome little group is the one you'll see outside various events, holding signs in rainbow colors that say "God Hates Fags." His website celebrates the death of Matthew Shepard. He had plans to bring his hateful protesters to picket Coretta Scott King's funeral because of her tireless work against discrimination toward gay men and lesbians. In 2005, when the usual venues for his protests weren't bringing enough publicity any more, his protesters began picketing military funerals with signs that say that "God hates America." His group claims that God is allowing members of America's military to die as punishment for America's acceptance of homosexuality. The pictures of protesters at his rancid little website made me decide to create a picture of my own.

I've been assured by my dear friend "listener" that God doesn't hate. As a mere mortal though, I still get a kick out of this possibility:


You can find wearable gear with a few variations of my design here.

No comments: